Patients may respond differently to immunotherapy than to traditional cancer agents.
Immunotherapy targets the tumor over time, so although response may occur more slowly than with traditional cytotoxic therapies, the immune effect is potentially adaptable and durable2-4
RECIST criteria were designed to assess response to traditional cytotoxic agents so they are not as relevant for immunotherapy, which works differently2-4
Learn more by watching Immunotherapy Works Differently (2:44)
- Murphy K, Travers P, Walport M, eds. Janeway’s Immunobiology. 7th ed. Garland Science, Taylor & Frances Group, LLC. New York, NY: 2008.
- Sharma P, Wagner K, Wolchok JD, Allison JP. Nat Rev Cancer. 2011;11:805-812.
- Kirkwood JM, Butterfield LH, Tarhini AA, Zarour H, Kalinski P, Ferrone S. CA Cancer J Clin. 2012;62(5):309-335.
- Mellman I, Coukos G, Dranoff G. Nature. 2011;480:480-489.
- Ribas A, Butterfield LH, Glaspy JA, Economou JS. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:2415-2432.
- Disis ML, Strickler JH, Wallace D, et al. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(suppl):(May 20 suppl; abstr 3015).
- Klebanoff CA, Gattinoni L, Restifo NP. Immunol Rev. 2006;211:214-224.